09 Apr Milk Loaf
This distinctively soft, slightly chewy milk loaf with subtle sweetness and milk fragrance is easy to make and suitable for everyone to enjoy.
Total waiting/resting: 145mins
Perfect to enjoy as it is or pairs well with jams and chocolate spreads.
PREPARE THE ROUX
1. Bring the milk to boil and add in the flour.
2. Stir the mixture well till there are no lumps.
3. Cook the mixture until you get a nice, thick pudding-like roux.
4. Transfer the roux into a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap and store in the fridge to chill for 12 hours.
PREPARE THE DOUGH
1. Remove roux from fridge to cool to room temperature.
2. Place all the ingredients including the roux into the mixer. Mix on low speed for 4 minutes and high speed for 6 minutes.
3. The final dough temperature should be around 26°C.
4. Round the dough, cover and let rest for 10 minutes
1. Lightly grease the loaf tin.
2. Flatten the dough, roll it out to a rectangle that is about the same width as the loaf tin.
3. Tightly roll up the dough and place into the loaf tin.
4. For final fermentation, cover the dough and proof it at 30°C & 80% humidity for about 135 minutes until double in size.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Bake for 28 minutes at 180°C or till golden brown.
3. Let cool on a wire rack before slicing.