Baker’s yeast is of natural origin, made up of living elements and used in making breads, beer because of its fermenting power.
Baking powder on the other hand is made up of sodium bicarbonate, potassium bitartrate and corn starch and instead of fermentation it causes a chemical reaction. It is used for making cakes.
Yeast is an essential ingredient for bread production as it gives life to the dough. During fermentation, the yeast will consume the sugars present in the dough and will naturally produce carbon dioxide which gives volume to the bread, creates the honeycombed appearance of the crumb and develops the aromas of the dough. Fermentation is activated by heat and ends during the baking when the temperature reaches 50°c (122°f).
The development of the aromas and flavours of the bread takes place throughout the baking process, especially during the fermentation and cooking stages and to a lesser extent during the mixing process.
Yeast enables specific aromatic notes to develop (more than 540 identified aromatic molecules) according to the baking conditions (ingredients and process). It therefore gives the bread its own aromatic characteristics. Yeasts also play an important role in the colour and texture of the bread’s crust.
- It is incorporated directly into the dough mixer, without being rehydrated.
- Its dosage is 3 times lower than that of pressed yeast.
- Its vacuum packaging promotes the stability of the fermenting power and eliminates any risk of external contamination.
- Saf-instant® yeast is very high-performance, guaranteeing superior fermenting power and optimum bread quality.
- It has smart packaging which is more informative thanks to the QR Code which will enable you to find help, inspiration and advice.
- The Saf-instant® brand offers lots of ideas and tips to help you in your bakery business, with a selection of articles, recipes and advice available at saf-instant.asia
- Saf-instant® Red yeast: specially developed for doughs with little or no sugar (from 0 to 10% sugar of the weight of flour).
- Saf-instant® Gold yeast: recommended for sweet doughs (from 5% sugar of the weight of flour)
The shelf life of the yeast is 2 years from the date of manufacture, unless specified otherwise.
After opening the bag, use it within 48 hours or store the closed package in the fridge and use within 8 days.