23 Feb Sweet Potato Nian Gao (年糕) Bread
Don’t throw away your 年糕/ sweet sticky rice cake just yet! You can now give this Lunar New Year sweet a second lease of life by adding them as a filling within your bread. The ‘Sweet Potato Nian Gao (年糕) Bread’ is sure to delight your taste buds while reducing food waste.
Approximately 10 pieces
Preparation Time: Peel & Steam Sweet Potatoes for 30 Mins
Resting Time: 30 Mins
Proofing Time: 2 – 3 Hrs
Baking Time: 13 Mins
Total Time: Approximately 4 Hrs
Serve at room temperature
|White/ Castor Sugar||50g|
|SAF-INSTANT™ Dry Baker’s Yeast – Gold||5g|
|Skim Milk Powder||9g|
|Sweet Potatoes (Washed & Steamed)||170g|
|Rice Cake/ 年糕||200g|
PREPARING THE INGREDIENTS
1. Peel the skin of the sweet potatoes and steam it for 30 mins
2. Steam the sweet potatoes for 30 mins
PREPARING THE DOUGH
1. Place all the above ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. With a kitchen machine/ stand mixer, mix the ingredient on low speed for 6 mins, or high speed for 4 mins.
3. Ensure that the temperature of the dough is at 30°C.
4. Cover the dough with a cloth and let it rest for 30 mins.
SHAPING THE DOUGH
1. Separate the lump of dough into smaller lumps of 70 gm each
2. Insert 20 gm of 年糕/ rice cakes into each lump of dough.
3. Cover the rice cake paste with the dough。
4. Once the dough is enclosed, proof the bread for about 120 mins to 180mins. Keep the humidity level to 80% and the temperature to 30°C.
5. Let the dough double in size.
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C , dust the flour over the stencils.
2. Place the “福” stencil over your dough and dust flour on it (optional).
3. Set your oven to 13 mins at 180°C.
4. Bake till your bread turns golden-brown.