25 Mar Chocolate Mixed Fruits Hot Cross Buns
One of the most delicious way to celebrate Easter is with a fresh batch of hot cross buns. This seasonal British specialty has long delighted families every Easter morning, making the perfect morning bun. There are many variations on the traditional recipe. This may just become your family favourite year after year.
Total waiting/resting: 3h
Serve warm with a side of butter
|Hot Cross Bun Dough||Quantity|
|SAF-INSTANT™ Gold instant dry yeast||5g|
|Skim Milk Powder||1.5g|
|Paste For The Crosses||Quantity|
PREPARE THE MIXED FRUITS
1. Diced mixed fruits as desired such as currants, orange, and lemon peel.
PREPARE THE DOUGH
1. Place all the dry ingredients into the mixer.
2. Mix on low speed for 4 minutes and high speed for 6 minutes.
3. Add in the butter and mixed fruits and mix for 1 minute. The final dough temperature should be approximately 28°C.
4. Place the whole dough on a lightly greased tray.
5. First fermentation: Cover the dough and rest for 20 minutes.
1. Flour the dough, divide equally into 60g balls each and place them on a lightly greased tray.
2. Final fermentation: Cover and proof the dough for 150 minutes at 32°C and 80% humidity. The dough will double in size at the end of fermentation.
3. Brush a layer of egg wash on the dough.
4. Mix the ingredients for the crosses and place into a piping bag, and pipe crosses over the buns.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Bake for 13 minutes at 180°C or until golden brown.
3. Brush the milk over the hot buns and serve warm.